Friday, November 22, 2013

Why being a mom is the best...

~~ONE~~

Sure, 9+ months of being pregnant can really take its toll.  Your body changes, you have mood swings, you crave the weirdest concoctions, your face looks like you are going through puberty, your ankles resemble tree stumps, etc.  But knowing that you are growing a human being…A REAL LIVE HUMAN…in your belly is pretty amazing.  Plus, you get to feel every kick, roll, and hiccup from your little one while they’re in there. 

~~TWO~~

Speaking of being pregnant, BIRTH is a whole new story.  You can read about mine here.  Yes, it’s the most horrendous pain I have ever felt in my life, but I survived it and feel like a goddamn champion because of it.  For real.  And even better?  That can be your excuse for everything.  For example: “Hey babe, can you do the laundry?  No, you can’t?  You realize I birthed a human, right?”  Works like a charm.
~~THREE~~

You can set records for weight loss.  I lost about 20 pounds in one day after giving birth.  Sounds like a miracle to me.
~~FOUR~~

You get dibs on cuddle time.  I love cuddling with KB - it’s my most favorite thing ever.  I try to take advantage as much as I can because I know it won’t last forever.  Soon enough he will be stiff arming me when I go in for a hug and looking the other way when I talk to him in public.  This leads me to my next point…

~~FIVE~~

When those little babies grow up to be teens, or tweens, or whatever they are called these days, they may go through that phase of not wanting anything to do with you.  Whatever.  Just wait until I embarrass the shit out of them in public.  Don’t mess with your mom…she knows EVERYTHING about you.  Keep that in mind.
~~SIX~~

You get to be the one that they go to for comfort.  When they are having a bad day, fall down and scrape their knee - you are the one that they go to.  Being the one to make them feel better might be one of the best feelings ever.  And when just your little kiss can cure them from their pain?  Pretty cool.  You are basically a superhero.


~~SEVEN~~

It’s rewarding.  You made it through pregnancy, birth, and you are keeping your kids alive on the daily.  You’ve done your research, you are doing what you think is best for your kids, and holy crap its working!  Don’t get me wrong, every day is a constant challenge and a constant battle of what is right and wrong.  But at the end of the day, when you have done everything you could to provide meals on the table, a bed to sleep in, a roof over their head, you can sit back and relax and be thankful.  You can also drink wine….lots of wine. J

~~EIGHT~~

You can live vicariously through your kids.  Do you ever think back to your childhood and wish you could relive certain memories?  Like being so excited to open presents at Christmas?  Or, when you first learned how to ride a bike?  Or how about when you had your first sleepover with a friend?  Sure, I won’t be the one living out those memories this time around, but watching your kids get to do it seems like it would be pretty cool.  Plus, you can be the one to help plan these memories for your kids and make them even better than the memories you have to look back on.


~~NINE~~
You finally have an excuse to buy kid’s cereal like Cap’n Crunch and Lucky Charms.  Enough said.
~~TEN~~
Speaking of having excuses, you can also watch all the Disney movies and cartoons you want without being judged.

~~ELEVEN~~
You are the mom.  You love them, you adore them, and you put them before yourself in every aspect of your life.  All of that seems worth it with every smile you get, every cuddle on your shoulder, and every sparkle in their eye.  You love your kids to no end and they love you back.  It’s the most genuine love you can ever have.  And that right there is enough for a million lifetimes.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think my list could go on for a while, but I hope you see my point.  Being a mom is by far the best thing I have ever done.  And this list isn’t just limited to moms - of course, dads can relate too. (Just not to #1, #2, and #3….I hope.)
Being a parent is awesome on so many levels and the journey of watching your kid grow brings so much love, humor, craziness, drama, etc.  I hope the parents out there can relate to this list a little.  If you are not a parent, I hope this makes you excited to be one someday.  And if you hate kids altogether, then go hug your cat. 
TGIF!  Have a great weekend! J 


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha "then go hug your cat". Good to read a post from you again! You were missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lady!! :) I was in a writing slump for a bit there - glad to be back! Happy Friday!!

      Delete

Comment away, I love it!